Winnipeg Ambassadors needed for MAWA Artists in Residence, May - October 2022
An honourarium of $100 will be provided to the ambassador
MAWA is looking for six ambassadors (one for each month May - October) to welcome participants of MAWA’s Artist in Residence program to the Winnipeg artistic community. Each artist will be traveling nationally or internationally to stay in the MAWA apartment for self-directed residencies. They will be using the time and space to further their artistic practices through research, reflection, networking and production.
The MAWA residency program is intended to increase dialogue between our geographical community—Winnipeg—and the art world beyond; to create networking opportunities for women and gender minority artists; and to provide an oasis in which these artists can do whatever they need to do in order to move their practices forward.
Duties of the ambassador will include:
- picking the artist up from the airport, train station or bus depot
- offering to show the artist around to artist run centres, galleries etc
- helping to get the art supplies they need
- helping to get basics such as groceries
- offering to take artists to different cultural events, such as art openings, lectures, festivals etc
- being available to the artist to answer questions by phone or email
- welcoming the artist to Winnipeg/ the art community
Attributes of the ambassador:
- friendly and outgoing
- interested in meeting new people
- interested in connecting with artists outside of Winnipeg
- access to a car
- knowledgeable about Winnipeg and the artistic community
- available to the artist during their stay, in person, by phone and email
MAWA is looking to pair each artist in residence with one ambassador. If you are interested in becoming an ambassador apply to email@example.com with "Ambassador 2022" in the subject line and a short paragraph describing why you would like to be an ambassador and which residency dates you are available.