About Zoom Zoom is an internet based video conferencing tool that allows users to meet online, with or without video. Zoom works best if you download the application in advance and set up an account. The download is available here: https://zoom.us/download.
How-to Guide for Using Zoom to Attend a Lecture, Workshop or Presentation at MAWA
You may access the meeting using your laptop (recommended) or your smartphone. We recommend that you use a stable internet connect as using data may incur excessive data usage/cost on your phone.
The following is a step-by-step guide for successfully attending Zoom meetings:
1. Prior to joining the meeting, download the free Zoom app to your device by visiting zoom.us and create an account.
2. To join the meeting, click on the link provided for the meeting. If the event requires registration a link will be emailed to you prior to the start of the meeting. Sometimes we may post the link on the event posting on our website or include it in the "Coming Up at MAWA" weekly emails we send to our members. Once you click on the link. You’ll be directed to the meeting and placed in the “waiting room” until we admit you.
3. You will be automatically muted when you join. If you have a question or would like to comment when appropriate, we will be able to unmute you. We will also turn off your camera for the presentation portion of the events.
4. To raise your hand on your device:
- On laptops, hover over your screen and you’ll see the “raise hand” option appear at the bottom of the screen.
- On smartphones, touch your screen, click on the “more” icon at the bottom right hand corner, and select “raise hand.”
5. You may ask questions using the CHAT BOX. If required, we will invite you to turn on your microphone and camera in order to have a full discussion. To access the chat box:
- On laptops, hover over your screen and you’ll find the chat box at the bottom.
- On smartphones, touch your screen, click on “participants,” then click on the “Chats” icon at the bottom of your screen. To exit the chat box, click on your device’s “back” button.